Today there are some interesting updates on Sgt.Ronald Waller, the new Raleigh Police Chief, and the proposed Abortion law. There are also some incredibly unique and exciting events that are not to be missed!
Rainy and humid all day. Temps: High of 85 ° & Low of 69 °
Here are the top 5 stories in Raleigh today
- The Wake County Sheriff’s Department posted an update on the deputy who was shot dead in a Raleigh apartment complex. Sgt.Ronald Waller has had two operations and is not in the intensive care unit. (abc11)
- The bill that would Prohibit abortions in the case of a child with Down syndrome it was approved by the North Carolina Senate and passed on. Posted Governor Roy Cooper‘s desk. The governor is unlikely to approve the bill, but Republican lawmakers are pushing for the bill anyway. (WECT messages 6)
- Three finalists were named to be next Police chief in Raleigh. Darryl McSwain, Robert Lowe and Estella D. Patterson answered questions in a live virtual forum. (WRAL, abc11)
- A Raleigh artist painted portraits of the homeless for charity. So far, Beth Mastick, sold 5 portraits for a total of $ 1,400, with proceeds going to the Fifty sandwiches charitable project. (Spectrum News 1)
- pensioner Tim Chlopowicz, Founder of Cake for pawsHe spends his weeks transporting animals from rural animal shelters Second chance pet adoption in Raleigh. He’s raising money for the shelter by getting local celebrities to smash you up Cake on his face for every $ 1,000 collected. (Spectrum News 1)
Today in Raleigh
- NC Hops Festival: Beer, wine and seltzer with live music, local vendors and food trucks. (Different times)
- Pride festival: Clouds Brewing Co. provides the beer, DJ MaCray puts on music and there is a drag show with cash prizes. (3: 00-10: 00 p.m.)
- Cirque de la Symphonie: dazzling pieces of strength and grace, choreographed to orchestral favorites. Streaming from the Meymandi Concert Hall. (8:00 pm)
- For a fun shopping experience, check out the Vintage Village Pop Up Market, Triangle Pop Up Market, and the Food & Flea Market.
Raleigh Patch Notebook
- It is almost Sunflower Season, and this year there are two places you can see them in bloom. (WRAL)
- In honor of National German Chocolate Cake DayHead to Raleigh’s favorite pastry shop, Hayes Barton Cafe & Dessertery, for a bite to eat.
- The NC vaccine lottery will go forward. Four North Carolinians will win $ 1 million, and another four people, ages 12-17, will receive a $ 125,000 scholarship. (WECT)
Be sure to keep an eye on your email as I am sure we have more interesting updates for you tomorrow. If I’ve missed something or something happens in Raleigh that you’d like to celebrate, email me at [email protected] to let me know!